Three art assignments for a dining room and corridors for a new building at Karolinska University Hospital in Huddinge.
A large new building for surgical operations and ancillary activities at Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge is currently being implemented and is planned to be completed in 2019. Art commissions play a key role in this major investment. Artistic expressions and forms of address will ensure that the hospital environment will be provided with a human dimension.
The Stockholm County Council’s Culture Administration invites professional artists to apply for three separate sketch assignments for a dining room and corridors on two separate floors. Art commissions on these sites continue a tradition of art at the Huddinge Hospital. The art will follow the movement of people throughout the entire facility. In addition to the patient-orientated environments there are artistic commissions in communal areas such as exterior courtyards, corridors, lift lobbies and entrances.
Conditions on site
The open call pertains to three commissions. The first two pertain to two corridor systems on two separate floors. On one of the floors, there are two corridors in the middle of the surgery activities; on the other floor, there are two connecting corridors for staff use.
The third commission pertains to the new building’s staff dining room. It includes a large, open feature wall, circa 3 metres high, which runs through three rooms. At this Open call, only Application of interested is needed, not schetches.
Description of the Art Commission
The three commissions are of a somewhat diverse nature. In general, the idea is to explore the potential of the different wall surfaces that extend over sections of wall interspersed with doors and other features. The Art Commission should contribute in providing the walls and corridors with character and identity. The extent to which an artwork can protrude in the space is restricted and durability and cleanability must be taken into consideration. Nevertheless, the assignments provide great artistic possibilities. The corridors in the surgery environment will be covered by a cleanable plastic material that can be artistically treated.
Specification of Requirements
General information on open calls is available on our web, www.kultur.sll.se, under English.
For the sketch assignment: 40,000 SEK excluding VAT.
The execution of the artistic public commission is budgeted at 420,000 and 360,000 SEK each for the corridors and 620,000 SEK for the dining room, excluding VAT. All costs connected to the execution and installation of the artwork, such as the artist’s own project planning time, material costs, subcontractors/assistants, travel, transportation, insurance, the artist’s own fee for executing the work and the artistic fee, storage until the time of installation, must be covered by this budget. The artist must provide an environmental checklist and a maintenance description, as well as operating and maintenance instructions.
Some costs related to the technical coordination, programming and installation of the art project may be included.
- 2017-03-27, at 24:00 hours. Deadline for submitting your Application of interest.
- 2017-04-21. Decision on which artists will be invited to parallel sketch assignments.
- 2017-05-03. Scheduled initial meeting for the sketch assignment.
- Scheduled proposal review meeting during ongoing sketch work.
- 2017-08-18. Proposal submission -only from nominated artists for sketch assignments.
- 2017-08-25. Decision on which sketch proposal will be executed.
- Production of artwork(s) according to the timetable of the project.
- Spring 2019. Mounting/installation of the artwork.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for a Public Art Commission for the Stockholm County Council Cultural Administration, you must fulfil the following requirements:
1. You must be a professional artist.
2. When the commission is awarded you must be registered for Swedish F-tax (as a sole trader or company). A copy of certificate from the relevant tax authority must be provided on request.
In addition we require that:
- the artwork(s) take into consideration the specific characteristics and operational conditions of the healthcare environment.
- you should provide solutions for the operation and maintenance of the artwork(s) and ensure that a sufficiently high level of durability is achieved.
- environmental concerns will be taken into consideration in the selection of materials and production methods.
Notification of Proposal Submission
The decision on which artists will be invited to submit a proposal will be made by the Director of the Art Department, delegated by the Culture Committee, and will be published on the Cultural Administration’s website www.kultur.sll.se at the end of May 2017. The artists who are invited to submit a proposal will be notified by telephone or email.
Questions concerning the application or the project should be submitted in writing via e-mail to the Project Manager and no later than 2016-03-23 to allow for replies before the application deadline.
Stockholm County Council is the commissioning agency and will be party to the agreements with the artists.
The Stockholm County Council Culture Administration will manage the art project, including the application and selection processes.